(NAPSI)—We all know the real star of the Easter season. No, not the Easter bunny—it’s eggs! In fact, in 2018 there were 242 million dozen eggs sold during Easter; that’s 2.9 billion eggs eaten during the Easter season alone!
But what happens to all those beautifully decorated eggs after Easter? It would be a shame to let them go to waste! Leftover hard-boiled Easter eggs are delicious and nutritious—and they’re perfect for celebrating National Egg Salad Week, April 22−April 28!
This was top of mind at one of the biggest Easter traditions in America—the White House Easter Egg Roll! This year, out of 74,000 eggs donated by America’s egg farmers for the annual event, 10,000 unused eggs were donated to local Washington, D.C. food banks, allowing more families to enjoy National Egg Salad Week!
So, go ahead and turn the fruits of your Easter labor into some delicious, creamy egg salad this week! But remember: think safety first! While all your decorated hard-boiled eggs are of course beautiful, eat only those that were colored with food-safe decorating materials. And, after the egg hunt ends, throw out any eggs that are cracked or have been out at room temperature for more than two hours.
Make a classic, yet incredible Simple Egg Salad Sandwich.
• Total time: 15 minutes
• Yields: 4 servings
o 6 HARD-BOILED EGGS, peeled
o 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
o ¼ cup mayonnaise
o 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
o ¼ tsp. salt
o ¼ tsp. pepper
o ½ cup finely chopped celery
o ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
o 8 slices rustic wheat bread
o 4 lettuce leaves
1. CHOP eggs.
2. MIX lemon juice, mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper in medium bowl.
3. ADD chopped eggs, celery and green onions; mix well.
4. REFRIGERATE, covered to blend flavors.
5. SERVE on wheat bread with lettuce leaves.
• Insider info: Superversatile, this classic egg salad is delicious served between two slices of toasted rustic wheat bread, stuffed into small tomatoes for an easy appetizer, or served in a lettuce cup for a low carb lunch.
For more recipe ideas and inspiration visit www.IncredibleEgg.org.
If you don’t have any leftover Easter eggs, don’t worry! You can still celebrate National Egg Salad Week. Just hard-boil a batch of eggs quickly and easily using the foolproof method below.
Learn an easier way to hard-boil 12 EGGS at IncredibleEgg.org.
1. HEAT ½- to 1-inch of water in a large saucepan to boiling over high heat. CAREFULLY PLACE steamer insert into pan over boiling water OR proceed to #2, if not using a steamer insert.
2. CAREFULLY ADD eggs using a large spoon or tongs. COVER and continue cooking 12 minutes for large eggs (13 minutes for extra large eggs).
3. DRAIN eggs under cold running water to help the shell ease off the hard-boiled eggs.
4. GENTLY TAP the large end of the egg onto a hard surface until the shell is slightly cracked and peel the egg.
“Leftover hard-boiled Easter eggs are delicious and nutritious—and they’re excellent for celebrating National Egg Salad Week 2019, April 22 through April 28. http://bit.ly/2J1dw4P”
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)