Archived Story

Help requested for family after fire scorches bedroom

Published 1:38am Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Dadeville family is in need of help after a Tuesday afternoon fire destroyed most of the adult couple’s wardrobe.

The house fire on Adams Street was reported around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to Capt. Jeanna Brewer of the Dadeville Fire Department. She added firefighters deduced the fire began in a bedroom, possibly igniting at a wall-mounted heater. The residents lost most of their clothes and other personal items, including clothing the couple need for work, according to family friend Wendy Hodge.

Hodge put out a request for help from the community Wednesday morning, asking for clothing donations.

The male residents wears shirts size XXL and pants size 42 waist and 30 leg. Khakis are especially needed for work, Hodge added. The female wears XL shirts and size 18 women’s pants. Mix It Up! will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday and Friday and from 10 a.m.

Dadeville firefighters also responded to a house fire around 8 a.m. Wednesday. Brewer said the fire on Saw Mill Street was another reminder that residents must be cautious when trying to warm their homes in the frigid weather.

“We think it was from an overloaded outlet that had a space heater plugged into it,” she said.

The cold weather, she said, is a time of added concern about fire risks.

“Folks are trying to keep warm the best they can,” she added. “It really sad, because they’re doing all they can to stay warm, but in that, they’re also endangering their lives.”

Six Dadeville firefighters responded to the Adams Street blaze, she said.

Editor's Picks

Kilgore ‘all aboard’ for holiday fun

  Rodney Kilgore has spent the last four years portraying popular railroad conductors. For most of the year, he wears striped overalls and goes to ... Read more

BRHS’ Fuller qualifies for USA Jr. Team

A Benjamin Russell Wildcat now represents the U.S.A for track and field. Read more