Archived Story

Three hour standoff ends peacefully

Published 12:09pm Tuesday, August 13, 2013

An early morning Sunday domestic incident left one woman in the hospital and police in a standoff.
According to Alexander City Police Lt. Tommy Lovett, police received a call Sunday from a woman in the hospital.
“Her husband and came home beat her up,” Lovett said. “The man had already told the woman, ‘If the police come after me, I am going to shoot them.’”
Lovett said that officers located James Trussell, 25, of Alexander City, traveling on Dadeville Road. The officers turned around and gave chase to Trussell.


Trussell pulled onto Nathan Street, jumped out at the 200 block and barricaded himself in his house.
Officers on the scene waited for support to arrive and then surrounded the house.
“We made contact with him on the phone and spent three hours negotiating with him, while occasionally threatening to shoot,” Lovett said. “We knew he had a bunch of guns in the house.”
At this point, the Alexander City Special Response Group was called in to release patrol. The three-hour ordeal started coming to an end when negotiators, whom Trussell had been talking to on the phone, arrived on the scene.
“He agreed to come out unarmed as long as the negotiator he had been talking to was there,” Lovett said.
With Trussell still on the phone, SRG officers formed a line of shields and made their way to the front door, accompanied by the negotiator. Trussell came out the door, backed out and officers took him into custody.
“We were able to get him out of there before it transpired into something else,” Lovett said.
Due to the severity of the injuries inflicted, Trussell has been charged with second-degree domestic violence, which is a felony offense. Officers confiscated several firearms from the home, and more charges may be pending.
ACPD thanked Wind Creek State Park, State Troopers, Marine Police, Tallapoosa County Sheriff’s Department Housing Authority and ACSRG for their role in bringing the incident to a conclusion.