Man Cookers, Fish Tales sweep cook offPublished 11:03am Wednesday, April 24, 2013
By Griffin Pritchard, Outlook Staff Writer
Tommy Tidwell, AWF’s Cook Off coordinator, made one important note before announcing Saturday’s winners: “You’ve got some big shoes to fill. Last year’s state champion came from this cook off.”
Cook teams from across the Lake Martin area gathered Saturday afternoon for a taste of the wild as the Alabama Wildlife Federation, with the help of the Army National Guard hosted the Wild Game Cook Off.
As the awards were presented, two teams began to stand out: The Man Cookers and Fish Tales.
“We’ve been doing this for the past six years,” said Gerald Hill of The Man Cookers. “We started working on the recipes about three days before. We spent a lot of time hunting and fishing, everything we use is fresh.”
The Man Cookers took first in Fish for their Creole Crappie concoction and they were second in game for their Stuffed Elk Pinwheels.
Fish Tales, ironically, didn’t place in the fish division but finished third in Fowl thanks to their Quail Salad and won the game division with their mushroom and spinach stuffed tenderloin.
They also won Best Presentation.
At the end of the night the Fish Tales team, composed of BJ Barnett, Will Huey, Daniel Davidson, Butch Davis, was named the Alabama Army National Guard Fan Favorite and presented with the plaque and a flag.
The Man Cookers – composed of Amanda Williams, Gerald Hill, Robbie Williams and William Hill – were named the night’s overall winners and will advance to the state tournament Aug. 1 at the Alabama Nature Center in Millbrook.
- First – The Man Cookers
- Second – Smokin’ & Jokin’ BBQ (stuffed to the grill salmon): Khara Jones, Chad Jones, Jason Hilyer and Kelli Hilyer
- First – Lake Martin Voice Realty (wild turkey pesto pizza): John Christenberry, Paul Berry
- Second – Chonita’s Cookers (wild turkey minis): Mark and Severa McGrady, Maria Arreola, Jasmine Uribe, Amberlie McGrady
- Third – Fish Tales
- First – Fish Tales
- Second – The Man Cookers
- Third – G’s Country Cookin’ (deer stew): Gerron Thornton, Ashley Thornton
- First – Fish Tales
- Second – Chonita’s Cookers
- Young Squirrel (squirrel & dumplings)
Pot Luck Winner
- First – MISFITS (hoppin’ rabbit chili)
- Second – Baby C’s (crazy “boracho” beans)