School board implements week-long fall breakPublished 11:32am Friday, April 12, 2013
The Alexander City Board of Education unanimously approved the school calendar for the 2013-2014 school year, with one of the most notable inclusions being a full week of fall break.
“That calendar is a group effort from representatives of every school, which I think is a great thing,” said David Sturdivant, board president. “We had administrators and teachers come together to get that done.”
Sturdivant commented that he thought many people would be pleased that fall break extended for a full week this year, from Oct. 7-11.
“Last year it was two days, and a lot of folks weren’t tickled to death about that,” Sturdivant said. “I feel like (this calendar) is a better fit for our community in terms of how it has evolved from a year-round calendar to a little more of a traditional pattern.”
The first instructional day is set for Aug. 19.
Other holidays include the following:
- Labor Day, Sept. 2
- Veterans Day, Nov. 11
- Thanksgiving, Nov. 27-29
- Winter break, Dec. 23-Jan. 3
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Jan. 20
- Spring break, March 24-28
Professional development and work days (which will be holidays for students) are as follows:
- Aug. 5-16
- Nov. 8
- Jan. 16-17
- May 23
- May 27-29
Half days include the following:
- Dec. 20
- Feb. 14
- April 18
The last instructional day is set for May 22.
The board also:
- watched the Jim Pearson Glee Club perform two songs
- announced the top six candidates for superintendent
- approved Superintendent Lou Ann Wagoner’s personnel recommendations
- honored bus driver Sandra Roberts for winning in the Love the Bus campaign
- approved diploma options as presented at the board’s March meeting
- approved the financial report