Area preps for EasterPublished 11:51am Friday, March 22, 2013
Easter is a celebration that, for many, marks the religious observance of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. In Tallapoosa County, Easter – which will fall March 31 this year – is celebrated in a number of ways, with events spanning March 23–31.
Easter egg hunts
Egg hunts have been a tradition connected to Easter for hundred of years. According to history.com, the relationship of eggs to Easter grew out of the pagan custom of eggs symbolizing new life.
Several Easter egg hunts will be held in the area.
- The 2013 Wind Creek State Park Easter Egg Hunt will begin at 9 a.m. The hunt will be conducted in the North Picnic Area of the park. Areas will be assigned based on age. Entrance fee is required for those who are not camping. For more information call 256-329-0845.
- Trinity United Methodist Church will have an Easter Egg Hunt from 10:30–11:30 a.m. for ages toddler to 12. There will be prize baskets, eggs to hunt, activities and refreshments.
- The Annual Easter Egg Hunt sponsored by Adams Chapter #685 Order of Eastern Star will be held at Creation Plantation Park in Dadeville from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. All family members are welcome. The egg hunt will be open to ages 2–12, and children should bring their own baskets. The event will feature entertainment, refreshments, the Easter bunny, prize eggs and drawings.
- Equality United Methodist Church will host an egg hunt, along with refreshments and a craft, March 30 at 10 a.m.
Easter musicals and dramas
A number of local churches will celebrates the birth of Christ through performance and song, beginning Palm Sunday. It always falls on the Sunday before Easter – this year, March 24.
- Lake Martin Baptist Church at 9423 County Road 34 West will have an Easter musical titled “It is Finished” at 10:30 a.m. A nursery will be provided.
- At 10:45 a.m. Flint Hill United Methodist Church will host a drama, “The Power of His Touch,” which is designed to portray the event of Passion Week as seen through the eyes of those personally touched by the ministry of Jesus Christ.
- The Adult Choir of First United Methodist Church in Alexander City will present “Wondrous Love” by Lloyd Larson at the 11 a.m. service.
- Calvary Baptist Church in Dadeville will present “The King is Coming” at 11 a.m. under the direction of Dennis Floyd.
- The Orr Street Baptist Church choir will present “The King is Coming” at 6 p.m. There will be a potluck dinner following the presentation.
Sunrise services will also be offered at numerous locations March 31.
- Mt. Sinai Baptist Church in Alexander City with Robert L. Hargrove will have a sunrise service at 6 a.m.
- Alexander City Methodist Church will have a Sonrise Service at 6 a.m. with breakfast to be served afterward. They will also host normal services, 9 and 11 a.m.
- Orr Street Baptist Church will have a sunrise service at 6 a.m. followed by breakfast. They will also have Sunday School at 9:30 a.m. and worship at 10:30 a.m.
- A sunrise service will be held at Mt. Sinai Baptist Church in Waverly at 8 a.m. with Corey D. Huguley.
- A sunrise service will be held at Flint Hill United Methodist Church at 6 a.m., preceding the 10:45 a.m. drama, “The Power of His Touch.”
- St. John the Apostle Catholic Church will have a special Easter service at 9 a.m.
- Red Ridge United Methodist Church in Dadeville will hold two Easter services – one at 9:30 a.m. and one at 11 a.m.
A number of additional services will be held to commemorate the Easter season, including
- a Maundy Thursday service March 28 at Red Ridge United Methodist Church in Dadeville at 5:30 p.m. with a symbolic sedar meal followed by communion and a modern day meal.
- a Holy Thursday service March 28 at Flint Hill United Methodist Church at 6:30 p.m.
- a Holy Thursday service March 28 at St. John the Apostle Catholic Church at 7:30 p.m. in English and at 9:30 p.m. in Spanish.
- a Good Friday service March 29 at Red Ridge United Methodist Church at 5:30 p.m.
- a joint Good Friday service March 29 at Trinity United Methodist Church at 6 p.m. with Flint Hill United Methodist, Haven Memorial Methodist and Kellyton First United Methodist churches participating.
- Alexander City Methodist Church will have an event simulcast called Secret Church from 6 p.m. until midnight.
- a Good Friday service March 29 at St. John the Apostle Catholic Church at 7:30 p.m. in English and 9:30 p.m. in Spanish.
- an Easter Vigil service March 30 at St. John the Apostle Catholic Church at 6:30 p.m. in English and 9:30 p.m. in Spanish.