New Site council approves purchase of new equipmentPublished 11:42am Wednesday, January 16, 2013
New Site Town Council approved the purchase of a new computer and a safe for the police department at Monday’s council meeting.
“The police department needs a computer,” said Public Safety Director John McKelvey. “About halfway through (a task) it decides to crash and you have to start over. We have carried it to Radio Shack a couple times to get them to work on it to fix it, and it’s still doing it. It’s got some type of virus.”
Officer Phillip Weddle also spoke one the issues the department faces.
“The program we do reports on – you’ll get halfway through a report, and it’ll just quit,” Weddle said. “If you haven’t saved it, all your information is gone, and you have to start over every time.”
The council voted to purchase a new computer for approximately $519.
Another item McKelvey requested was a safe.
“I have a bunch of evidence,” McKelvey said. “I’ve got to go pick up about $24,000 worth of guns next week I have to keep in evidence.”
McKelvey said he wanted to purchase a $700 safe from Tractor Supply.
“I have a bunch of stuff locked up … that I’ve got a key to, and I’m the only one who has it, but it’s full,” McKelvey said. “The other thing is, I have stuff that’s locked up in Shelia (Fuller)’s safe … if it goes to trial, (she) has to come and testify as custodian of the safe.”
The council voted to purchase a new safe.
The council also:
- voted to purchase a new chlorinator for Hillabee Pumping Station before the price increase
- heard updates from the water department
- heard updates from the public safety department
- approved assistant clerk Tonya Phillips to attend a conference in Tuscaloosa
- heard updates on the progress at the recreational park with the new rail and other improvements
- signed Waiver of Report forms
The Town Hall will be closed Monday in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.