Youth athletes recognized at council meetingPublished 12:07pm Wednesday, December 19, 2012
The city council recognized two groups of Alexander City youth at its meeting Monday.
Council members unanimously approved resolutions commending the Alexander City Gymnastics team and the Alexander City 9-and-younger soccer team.
The gymnastics team competed at the state championship in Montgomery Nov. 30 – Dec. 2, where three members – Macayla Marbury, Raylee Moore and Kennedy Templeton – were named state champions.
The soccer team members won the state championship in their division during the state tournament in Dothan.
“I’d like to say congratulations to these boys and girls,” said Mayor Charles Shaw. “When you work hard and practice hard, you reach great things. You deserve the honor that’s been bestowed upon you tonight.”
The council also:
- unanimously voted to rezone property on County Road 40 from R-1 to B-2 at the request of Larry P. and Amanda Scroggins. No one was in attendance for the public hearing to discuss the rezoning before the vote.
- approved with a 5-1 vote applications for retail beer, retail wine and lounge retail liquor licenses for Masrath International, Inc., doing business as Hillabee Quick Stop at 1505 Hillabee Street. District 4 Councilman Billy Ray Wall cast the sole vote against the measures.
- heard from Alexander City resident Joseph Hawkins about discrepancies on his utility bill
- asked the community to keep the residents of Newtown, Conn., in their thoughts and prayers
- wished everyone a merry Christmas