Wedowee man sentenced to lifePublished 8:04pm Wednesday, November 30, 2011
A Wedowee man found guilty of robbing a New Site business at gunpoint earlier this year was sentenced to life in prison without parole Wednesday.
Judge Ray Martin sentenced 32-year-old Troy Antoine Knight of Wedowee, who was found guilty of robbing the Foodland grocery store in New Site on Oct. 12, to life in prison without parole. As previously reported by The Outlook, Knight was arrested by the New Site Police Department in May of this year and charged with two counts of first-degree robbery in connection to the incident, which took place on April 14, 2011.
“I’m proud he’s in prison, where he needs to be,” Police Chief John McKelvey said.
Knight was arrested in May, along with 19-year-old Wadley resident Emily Cheyenne Battle and 22-year-old Steven Andrew Moore of Roanoke. Battle, who was employed at Foodland at the time of the incident, was the first of the three defendants to be arrested in connection to the case. McKelvey said that the day of the incident, two males entered the store armed and wearing gloves and masks, and took an undisclosed amount of money from the safe and two cashiers. Battle, who worked in the deli, was already in the store.
“She was using her cell phone to communicate with them and was telling them when to come in and how many people were in the store,” McKelvey said.
After the suspects escaped, McKelvey began looking for a vehicle that matched the description of their getaway car. He spotted a possible match that night and pursued the vehicle to Randolph County, but lost contact with it in Wadley. Several weeks later, he again located a vehicle that matched the description in Randolph County.
Battle was arrested at Foodland May 28, while Moore was arrested later that same day. Knight was already incarcerated at the Randolph County Jail on charges of probation revocation, according to McKelvey. All three of the suspects were charged with two counts of armed robbery, first degree.
“We went to talk to (Knight) and he admitted his involvement. Then we got statements from (Moore) and (Battle),” McKelvey said. “It was a pretty intense investigation because there wasn’t much to go on. The suspects were masked. We had the brief vehicle description, no tag number.”
Jeremy Duerr, the assistant DA who prosecuted the case, said that Battle and Moore, who both testified against Knight in the trial, have not been sentenced yet.