Fire: A Dadeville firefighter works on a fire at the Barn. | Dale Liesch

Archived Story

Fire torches Jackson’s Gap store

Published 8:32pm Friday, January 14, 2011

A Jackson’s Gap business was destroyed by what authorities say was an electrical fire Friday afternoon.

The Barn, which sold antiques and collectibles and was a local drop zone for The Birmingham News, caught fire around 2:10 p.m., according to Jackson’s Gap Volunteer Fire Chief Mannon Sims.

Sims said Jackson’s Gap firefighters responded to the call and were on the scene at about 2:30 p.m., but the building was already fully involved. Firefighters from Dadeville arrived about a half hour later, he said.

“The inside was already flaming up,” Sims said of the scene when he arrived.

Sims said the building would be a complete loss and only the owner, Valoris Dawson, was at the business when it caught fire.

Dawson said she has owned the antique shop for almost two years and plans to rebuild.

An independently contracted newspaper carrier for The Birmingham News used the building as a drop zone, according to Jerry Reynolds, state circulation manager for The News. He said the carrier picked up the papers at the location.

Reynolds said the fire would not hamper their newspaper delivery.

“We’ll have delivery as usual,” Reynolds said.

Editor's Picks

Abbett is a great resource for the area

OUR VIEW The Outlook this week featured a story on the official beginning of the sixth term in Office by Tallapoosa County Sheriff Jimmy Abbett. ... Read more

Kilgore ‘all aboard’ for holiday fun

  Rodney Kilgore has spent the last four years portraying popular railroad conductors. For most of the year, he wears striped overalls and goes to ... Read more