Response: Alexander City firefighters head into a burning home on D Street Friday morning. | Brent Maze

Archived Story

D Street home damaged by fire

Published 8:25pm Friday, January 14, 2011

A home on D Street was damaged by a Friday morning fire that apparently started in the attic, according to the Alexander City Fire Department.

Capt. Jamey Johnson said the homeowner discovered the fire when returning home shortly before noon Friday. The fire department was dispatched at 11:47 a.m.

“The attic caught fire due to a crack in the chimney of the home,” Johnson said. “We did encounter flames when we entered the interior of the home, while smoke was only visible from the exterior. There was significant damage.”

Johnson said the fire damaged three rooms in the home. Smoke and water damage was observed throughout the rest of the home.

He added that it took the department just over an hour to put out the fire. Firefighters used about 800 feet of 5-inch water hose to connect the fire engine with a hydrant on E Street.

No one was inside the home at the time of the fire and no one was injured responding to the fire.

Johnson said it is important to make sure that chimneys are properly maintained, especially in older homes.

“We recommend that homeowners have their chimney inspected if they are planning to use it,” Johnson said. “You also need to make sure that you have working smoke detectors in the home. If this had occurred during the middle of the night and there were no smoke detectors, it could have been much worse.”

Editor's Picks

Kilgore ‘all aboard’ for holiday fun

  Rodney Kilgore has spent the last four years portraying popular railroad conductors. For most of the year, he wears striped overalls and goes to ... Read more

BRHS’ Fuller qualifies for USA Jr. Team

A Benjamin Russell Wildcat now represents the U.S.A for track and field. Read more