Archived Story

County tourney finals set

Published 11:39pm Friday, January 7, 2011

In the opening game of the 2011 Tallapoosa County Tournament, the Dadeville Lady Tigers used a big third quarter to pull away from Reeltown and clinch a spot in Saturday’s final.

Trailing by two at the break, the Lady Tigers outscored the Lady Rebels 18-5 in the third on their way to a 47-36 victory.

The teams traded two baskets apiece to open the second half, but Dadeville’s Tori Boyd nailed a 3-pointer, Rae Williams scored back-to-back buckets and Nee Nee Hart added five straight points to cap a 12-0 run that put the Lady Tigers up 36-26.

“We kind of stood around in the second quarter and we weren’t very active on defense,” DHS coach Greg Shelton said. “We tried to pressure more in the third, and we did a good job of getting a hand in people’s face. Our guards handled the ball better, and we shot pretty well from the perimeter.”

The Lady Tigers scored the final 11 points of the first quarter and led 13-5 through eight minutes of play, but Reeltown came back in the second behind Tersiera Brooks. Brooks scored 11 of her game-high 21 points in the second stanza, and the Lady Rebels owned a 22-20 advantage at halftime.

After Dadeville grabbed the lead with its solid play in the third quarter, Reeltown opened the fourth with six consecutive points. The Lady Tiger advantage was seven with 2:10 to go following Maya O’Neal’s field goal for the Lady Rebels, but Dadeville’s Janie Moran buried a three to push it back to 10, and her team hung on.

Boyd closed with 12 for Dadeville, and Hart and Williams scored 10 points each. Moran had seven. O’Neal ended up with eight for Reeltown, while T. Williams added nine.

“(Reeltown) tried to pack the lane and keep the ball away from Rae, but we ran our half-court offense well and were able to get some good looks,” Shelton said. “I’d like to see us make some more plays on the fly in transition, though. Hopefully, we can put on a better show (Saturday) in the finals.”

Martin, strong 4th quarter propel HBHS to win

Katie Martin posted a double-double, and Horseshoe Bend pulled away from Edward Bell to get in position for its second straight championship.

Martin scored 18 points and grabbed 13 rebounds to lead HBHS to a 56-39 win. She was 10 of 12 from the foul line in the fourth quarter and 12 of 14 overall.

Martin changed positions and brought the ball up the court most of the night, filling in for starting point guard Jessica Harden, who missed the game due to a death in the family.

“Katie had a great ballgame,” head coach Mike Boyd said. “She stepped up in a tough spot and did what we asked her to do. She knocked down her free throws, and that made it a lot easier in the fourth quarter.”

HBHS led 36-27 after three quarters, but could not gain any ground on the Lady Bears until late in the fourth. After a see-saw beginning to the final quarter, Edward Bell’s Natalie Copeland made two free throws, the Lady Bears got a stop and Desharte Edwards added two more foul shots to cut the lead to six with 2:49 left.

However, Edward Bell would not score the rest of the way, and Martin scored nine of the next 11 points to ice the win.

In the first quarter, Jessica Williams’ four straight points gave the Lady Generals an eight-point lead, but Copeland made a field goal to make the score 11-5 after one.

The lead ballooned to 19-5 after Williams, Carlie Vickers, Kaylee Jones and Brittney Keel all found the net before Edward Bell got on the board. Edwards’ 3-pointer with 4:54 left ended the drought, and the Lady Bears trailed by eight entering the locker room.

Edward Bell (7-3) trimmed the deficit to four in the third, but that’s as close as the Lady Bears could get. Edwards scored 21, Kierra Billingsley put up 11 and Copeland had seven for EBHS, who beat Wadley 52-27 Thursday.

HBHS is now 16-1, counting Thursday’s big 46-41 area win over Lanett. Keel was the only other Lady General in double figures with 14. Rachel Smothers had eight points and seven boards, while Williams added six points and eight boards.

HBHS will take on Dadeville at 6 p.m. Saturday.

Tigers beat up on Bears, 79-45

Six Tigers scored at least eight points as Dadeville routed Edward Bell 79-45 in the first boys semifinal game of the tournament.

Edward Bell’s Eddie Webb hit one of his five 3-pointers to begin the game, but Dadeville answered with 18 consecutive points on the way to its second win over the Bears this season.

Rodney Taylor’s bunch upped the tempo for Friday’s contest, using a full-court press to cause numerous turnovers.

“I wanted to start doing some things we haven’t done as we get close to the stretch run, and we have been using a lot of half-court defense early on this year,” Taylor said. “(Friday) we contested a lot of shots. With our height, it’s hard to shoot if we got on our man, and that’s what we did. It’s good to see us keep teams in the 40s, and our defense has really been carrying us the last few games.”

After the Tigers built a 20-5 lead after one quarter, the Bears showed some life. Akeem Holloway hit two straight lay-ups, and later Chris Black converted a three-point play to cut Edward Bell’s deficit to nine with 4:30 to go before the half.

But, Dadeville answered with a 10-0 run to kill the Bears’ momentum. The Tigers led 35-19 at halftime and scored eight in a row to open the third quarter and put the game away.

Quin Alvies netted 18 points to lead all scorers. Zeke Heard had 16 and Terry Toler had 10, including making 6 of 7 free throws. Deshawn Redden and Kieran Sturdivant both tallied nine points, Darrion Hutcherson added eight and freshman Jessie Foster drained two fourth-quarter threes to close with six.

Webb poured in 17 for Edward Bell, which picked up its third win of the season Thursday by beating Wadley 72-46. Holloway finished with 11, and Kiunte Dowdell scored seven.

The Tigers are now in position for their second straight county championship.

“It was good to see the balance (Friday),” Taylor said. “You don’t want to see one guy score 30, then have a bunch of guys with three or four. I did think we gave up too many second-chance points, though. They had about half of their points on rebounds and putbacks.

“This is the fifth year in a row we’ve made it to the finals. Hopefully, we can keep improving and get another title.”

Reeltown beats HBHS in OT to advance

Late Friday night, the Reeltown Rebels edged Horseshoe Bend in the final game of the night in the tournament.

After both teams ended regulation tied at 41-41, the Rebels caused some quick, early turnovers in the overtime period and went on to win 52-43.

Ki-Shawn Powell scored six of his 21 points in the extra frame to lead the Rebels.

The Generals led 8-5 after one quarter and caught fire in the early part of the second. Two triples by Jay Glenn, another Glenn basket and a trey by Kendall Thomas made it 19-5.

But, Reeltown quickly turned the tables, scoring 13 unanswered points to end the half. Powell had a pair of threes during the spurt.

The Rebels carried a 33-29 lead into the fourth quarter and led until Horseshoe Bend’s Brandon Hassell tied things up with two free throws with under a minute left.

Glenn had 18 for HBHS, and Thomas had nine. Milton Chambliss and Anthony McKeithen scored eight each for Reeltown.

The Rebels and Tigers will meet for the second straight year in the finals on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

Editor's Picks

Kilgore ‘all aboard’ for holiday fun

  Rodney Kilgore has spent the last four years portraying popular railroad conductors. For most of the year, he wears striped overalls and goes to ... Read more

BRHS’ Fuller qualifies for USA Jr. Team

A Benjamin Russell Wildcat now represents the U.S.A for track and field. Read more